Friday, October 11, 2013

Stuffed artichokes


I always wanted to try my hand at stuffed artichokes but it was always foreign to me. Well I got up the gusto and made these leaf licking artichokes and they were darn tasty. I only made two for me and my fiancĂ© so it wasn’t that time consuming but I can see where making a bunch would be quite tedious. Either way we enjoyed them and I would definitely make them again.

INGREDIENTS

2 artichokes
1 lemon juiced
3 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tsp. oregano
1 Tsp. parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
1 egg white
3 Tbsp. olive oil

DIRECTIONS

Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees. While the oven is preheating prep the artichokes using a few easy steps. First cut off the bottom stem and top head of artichoke. Then snip the leaves down using a kitchen scissors. Gently pull apart the leaves to make room for the stuffing. Once you’ve opened the leaves enough to expose the choke use a spoon and a knife, or a melon baller, and removed the choke entirely. It’s not easy but do your best to remove as much as possible. Once this is completed drizzle the artichoke with lemon juice to prevent it from browning. 

In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients, including cheese, thoroughly. Once the ingredients are mixed add the olive oil and egg white and mix until slightly moistened. Now it’s time for stuffing. I start with the middle and work my way out and be sure to fill each leaf for ample deliciousness. 

Place the artichokes in a shallow baking dish and fill the bottom with 1 inch of water, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for about 60-80 minutes. When the artichokes are done they should be tender and the leaves will pull out easily. Sprinkle the artichokes with Pecorino Romano cheese and get to picking!

No comments:

Post a Comment