Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Hearty Beef Stew

Fall is here and this means it's the perfect time of year for comfort foods! This classic beef stew is great for enjoying during a cozy day indoors. While I was prepping my vegetables I began sauteing beef cubes in vegetable oil until they were lightly browned. This allows for all the juices to be seared inside the meat and ensure tenderness. Once the beef was browned I added beef stock, red wine, garlic, and a myriad of seasonings and simmered the pot for an hour and a half. Next I added the potatoes,celery, carrots, and onions and continued the simmer for an additional thirty minutes. Shortly before serving the stew I added the sliced baby portobellos. You don't want to add the mushrooms to early as they will cook down to nothing. If you prefer a thicker broth you can remove a cup of liquid and mix it with a teaspoon of flour. Slowly stir the floured broth mixture back into the stew and allow the broth to thicken. I served this savory dish over rice with warm crusty french baguette; and nothing accompanies a hearty beef stew better than a bold glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment