- 1/2 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 medium eggplant, cut crosswise into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- 4 (1-ounce) slices country wheat bread, toasted
- 12 large basil leaves
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Place marinara in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave at HIGH for 2 minutes or until hot; keep warm.
- 3. Place flour in a shallow dish. Place eggs in another dish. Place panko in another. Sprinkle eggplant evenly with salt. Dredge both sides of eggplant slices in flour; dip in egg, and dredge in panko. Place breaded eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil eggplant 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer eggplant slices to a plate. Place bread slices on baking sheet; top each slice with 1 basil leaf. Place 1 eggplant slice over each leaf; top eggplant with 1 basil leaf and 1/2 ounce cheese. Top cheese with remaining slices of eggplant; finish with 1/2 ounce of cheese over each eggplant slice. Broil eggplant stacks 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly. Spoon 2 tablespoons marinara over each serving. Top with remaining basil leaves.